Spirulina is called a blue-green algae because it contains both chlorophyll (providing green pigment) and phycocyanin (blue pigment). Spirulina contains a staggering array of essential nutrients for our bodies. Not only does it contain over 60% complete protein (almost three times as much as that found in beef!), it has high concentrations of many other important vitamins and minerals, such as B complex vitamins, vitamin E, carotenoids, iron, manganese, zinc, essential fatty acids such as gamma linolenic acid (which is only otherwise found in mother’s milk), and more beta carotene than you can find in carrots! Spirulina is also one of the few plant sources of vitamin B12, which is essential for healthy nerves and tissues. Studies suggest that Spirulina can help stimulate the immune system, increasing production of antibodies, and promoting a healthy response to allergens. It may also help reverse age-related declines in memory and learning, help maintain healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels, and promote the formation and development of red blood cells. Spirulina has also been shown to promote the growth of probiotics, which can help maintain intestinal health.
In Summary, Spriulina:
- Is a protein powerhouse and contains up to 70% complete protein!
- Is rich in chlorophyll which oxygenates and alkalises the blood.
- Is a source of omega fatty acids which lowers bad cholesterol.
- Contains vitamin B12.
- Promotes beneficial bacteria.
- Has immune boosting properties.Contains Omega 3, 6 and 9 and is especially high in Omega 3
- A great source of vitamins including B1, 2,3,6 and 9, vitamin C, D A and E
- A great source of minerals including Potassium, Calcium, Chromium, Copper, iron, Magnesium, Manganese, phosphorus, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc
- 26 times more calcium than milk
- A great anti-oxidant with 4 times the ORAC score of blueberries
Unfortunately this superfood is not purchased for it’s taste, therefore its much better suited to a combination blend or as an addition to a smoothie blend. We have included it into our mattsupps greens blend and with the synergy of flavours masks the strong tasting spirulina perfectly. Add our greens powder to coconut water, water or nut milk with some added fruit for a great tasting, alkalising, energising liquid meal of goodness.
You can order yours by clicking below